Friday, February 7, 2014

Los Angeles Art Book Fair: Scene at the Fair



The Los Angeles Art Book Fair inhabited the entire space of the Geffen Contemporary located in downtown LA's Little Tokyo district. The overwhelming array of traditional and non-traditional art book publishers, art galleries, antiquarian book sellers, artists, 'zine and periodical publishers made it difficult to see it all in just one visit. 

Because of the size of the venue, I walked the fair repeatedly to take it all in and loved it a little more each day. I discovered new bits and pieces while revisiting the seller stands, coming away with great conversations and some wonderful new artist's books which I will share with you soon. And, as always, while I walked the fair, I shot the fair and here is a taste of what I saw. Above, the "SUP" magazine silver balloons against artwork on a gallery back wall has become, for me, the iconic image for the fair.

The Vasta crew had a fantastic fair and while packing up we starting planning for the Printed Matter Fair in September and are already looking forward to LAABF 2015. See you all next time at MoMA PS1! 


Click on any image for slide show



There will always be at least one surfboard at the LA fair




 Transgender publication OP Original Plumbing




 



 


Simon Vasta, my son and stand manager par excellence 


Arthur Fournier, antiquarian dealer on the left with 
Jordan Nassar, Printed Matter's show coordinator. Thanks to the whole Printed Matter team and especially to Jordan for his tireless efforts. 



 The huge 'zine area of the fair: (xe)rox & paper + scissors





 KCHUNG dj booth/living room ~ bliss out my brothers!




This kinda sums it up for me: the LA/NY push pull of the art book fairs

.


No comments:

Post a Comment